Sunday, November 14, 2010

Oh to be an old lady

Halloween. It's an excuse to be crazy... and to dress funky and have no one wonder what is wrong with you. In the past I've dressed up as a facebook page, a Rubik's cube, and even a rockstar. This year, I wasn't quite sure what to be. Plus, Halloween isn't as big of an event in Spain as it is in the United States. Needless to say, I still chose to participate. So on deciding what to be, I thought I'd add a few years to my life... 

The Full Ensemble

Our school actually had a little Halloween party...upon which there was a costume contest. So that morning, bright and early, I awoke to start the preparations of my costume. My roommate put hair curlers in my hair, did my make-up pretty crazy, and ended with some baby powder, to give the effect of grey hair. It was a hoot! I walked to school and back that morning looking like an old woman. I got some pretty crazy looks that day. One woman even almost fell off of her bike. =) At the costume party, not a ton of students dressed up, which was sad...but I suppose an advantage on my part, because I won first prize, which was a free drink to Starbucks. =) 

Helping a senior citizen
Later on the the evening, I went to another halloween party that was hosted by a missionary friend, named Nadine. She also had a costume contest. A lot more people dressed up for her party, which it made it fun...and I remained a granny. :D To my delight, I also won first prize for that contest...which was a $15 dollar iTunes card (now I can buy $15 dollars worth of music online!). Nadine had also bought some pumpkins to carve. There were some Spaniards there, so we taught them the art of carving pumpkins. They thought the whole thing was pretty hilarious. There were even some Americans who had never cut pumpkins before and one of them had her own pumpkin farm. How can someone grow pumpkins and never have cut one???
Me and Shrek

I ended up carving two pumpkins. I made one into a sun...and the other into a bird-like creature. Although, the Spaniards thought it looked like Shrek...so I won first prize for the pumpkin carving contest too (I won a box of chocolates). I have never won so many prizes in one day! I felt pretty accomplished. =) 
The Sun!








It was fun to teach the Spaniards some American traditions. I find it very enjoyable to learn about different cultures and to compare how 
different it is with American. So very soon, I am going to write a
 'Cultures 101' blog on things that I've noticed are different. =) 

What did you guys dress up for Halloween?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment