Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Non-Traditional Tradition

Most people picture thanksgiving as family coming together to celebrate thankful.. and eat a LOT of food. However, since Thanksgiving is very much an American tradition, one might guess that Thanksgiving in Spain would be different.
Yes, you were right. It’s different.



Our school was very generous and sponsored a Thanksgiving dinner in a Cuban restaurant. Everyone dressed up, which made if even more fun. Dinner was delicious. We each got our own little turkey breast with mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, a roll with butter, green beans and corn. Then for dessert, there was some cake type thing with really bitter sauce.

It was also an opportunity to do our secret Santa giveaway that we had been preparing for. I drew a guy’s name…and since I didn’t know what to get him, I just got him a bunch of chocolate. My secret Santa gifted me with a beautiful pair of dangly earrings! I always love earrings. =)

Afterwards, the restaurant turned into a Cuban Salsa dance club. Since I had been taking some Salsa lessons and knew some moves, a few of us decided to stick around for a couple hours and dance. It was fun, but it’s always hard to dance.. when there isn’t any guys, because I’m always the one who ends up leading.. (since I’m the only one who knows the guy steps).
Ana Bello and I (School's receptionist) at Thanksgiving dinner
A couple of weeks earlier, we visited a small town called Ronda. It’s a city on a hill, literally. It overlooks the countryside, mountains and cliffs. It’s very beautiful. It’s known though for it’s Plaza de Toros, because it is the oldest in Spain. Just incase you’re wondering, Plaza de Toros.. is where the bull fights take place.

So once we arrived, we visited the actual Plaza de Toros and learned that there was once a famous matador. He started at the age of 8 and retired in his 70s. He fought over 600 bulls…or maybe it was 6000…(haha, big difference, but I cant remember at the moment) and never once got hurt. Cool huh?
Pretending to be a torrera
The rest of the day, we explored. Angeline and I hiked down to a waterfall, which was gorgeous. I love hiking…it’s one thing I’m excited for upon returning to Oregon. We also visited a site where the slaves used to climb down some stairs.. to get water. It was pretty fascinating.

Ronda
"La Puente Nueva" - The New Bridge 
We found a mule along the way....
Well that's all folks. Only 4 days until I am home! I hope to write one last blog before I left, but we shall see. I don't have much time.. to write a 6-7 page paper, study for three tests, pack, and say all my goodbyes. =( But I will make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment