Sunday, December 5, 2010

Traveling Adventures with Matt, Pt. I

J'etais perdue**. It was how I was feeling…when I got to the airport to discover that Matt was not there. I had received an email saying that he was just about to board on his flight from Dallas to Madrid (capital of Spain) but that his flight had been delayed by two hours. That was the last communication I had from him. So to my knowledge, he had supposedly made his last two flights, but when I arrived at the airport in Sevilla, he was no where to be seen. Furthermore, I had no new emails saying what had happened, so I just figured that he must have missed his connecting flight. Not knowing what to do,  I proceeded to ask the airport officials, what they could do to help me. With a few tears and no luck, they told me that they wouldn't be able to help me in any way because it would be a security issue. They couldn't tell me if Matt had missed his flight or was scheduled for the next...regardless of the fact I was his wife and that he had no euros, no international phone, apparently no internet and spoke barely any Spanish. Yes, I was a emotional wreck.


After waiting five hours in the airport, he finally came. (He was able to catch the next flight) Thank the Lord! I do not know what I would have done if he hadn't come. It was SO great to see him again. He was obviously very tired, but that did not stop us from enjoying ourselves in Sevilla. Unfortunately, he had brought bad weather with him and it rained for the duration of the day (which was only the second time I had seen it rain in Sevilla. What luck!)
Eating tapas with Pablo and Cristina
We were very blessed and were able to stay with a married couple that I know, Sarah and Jordan...for two nights free of charge! In the evening, we went out to dinner for tapas at my favorite restaurant with a Spanish couple that I met here. Matt hit it off well with them, although he gets along good with everyone. Then afterwards, we went to the church I've been attending...to go to a miniature concert. There he was able to meet more of my Spanish friends.



The next couple of nights, we spent in Sevilla…just wandering around. I was super excited to show him where I’d been living.. and what I got to see everyday. We visited a popular park called "El Parque de Maria Luisa", the Plaza de España and the famous Alcazar, which is the royal palace and gardens. Let me tell you, they are beautiful!

In the Plaza de España,
in the section specifically for Sevilla! 
Plaza de España


There are peacocks all around the Alcazar!


In the Alcazar
For Halloween, we went to a pizza place. It was quite the experience… the people were dressed like devils and they were playing weird music in the background of people screaming, cats growling, and people in chains. Super strange, but at least the pizza was tasty!

The night of the 1st, we took a bus to Madrid to catch our flight to Paris. We ended up sleeping in the airport that night, until our flight left bright and early. One thing that is nice about Europe is that you can easily find cheap flights to other countries within Europe. I think we got our return flights for like 10 dollars each. Cheap, huh? The stinky thing, is that the cheap airlines will try to charge you on any little thing they can find after your flight is already booked. So for example, the airline we flew with to Paris, was RyanAir. You can take one carry-on without paying, but it cannot way more than like 15 pounds and has to have specific dimensions. Everything has to be inside your carryon, including purse, food, camera, book.. or anything as such. If they decide to get picky and your bag just happens to be wrong in someway, they will make you check your bag and will charge you.

Matt and his Ham flavored chips
It just so happened, that they day we left.. was a day they decided to be picky. They made each passenger stick their carry-ons in a measurement box and if the bag didn’t fit, then they had to check it. Well… Matt’s didn’t fit. So in order to avoid getting charged, we both put on about 3-4 layers of clothing to make the bags smaller. It worked! The flight was a little.. sweaty but we managed. =) It was also quite comical. The whole flight was like a infomercial. They advertised tons of different things to try to get people to buy, such as perfume, lottery tickets, and stuffed animals. They must be somewhat successful. 

Once we arrived to Paris, we discovered that the airport we landed in was about 45 minutes outside of the actual city. (I guess that is also why the flight was so cheap). Needless to say, we had to get to the city somehow, so the option was to take a bus that cost about 100 dollars in extra expenses.. that we had not anticipated. =/ 

Paris itself was great after we finally found our hotel, but I will talk about it more in my next blog! 

No comments:

Post a Comment